Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance: Know Your Risk

We all live in a "flood zone" because any place is capable of flooding, given the right conditions. Even historically dry areas have been known to flood without warning. That's why it's important to protect your property with flood insurance, so you're not left saying "I never thought it would flood here!" The question is, what type of coverage do you want?

The key is knowing your personal level of flood risk. One way is to let us run a "flood zone determination" for your home or business. That will help determine if you live in one of the following:

  • High-Risk Zones: Homes in high-risk flood zones are more likely to be damaged by flood than fire.
  • Low-To-Moderate Risk Zones: Even though homes and buildings outside of high-risk zones are not required to carry flood insurance, they still account for about 25% of all National Flood Insurance Program claims and they receive one third of Federal Disaster Assistance for flooding.

In other words, you don't have to be near a body of water to be at risk. Anywhere it can rain, it can flood.

Flood Insurance Coverage

  • Preferred Risk Policy
    If your building is in an area with a low to moderate flood risk, you may be eligible for a low-cost Preferred Risk policy. Two types of coverage are offered: building and contents-combined or contents only. If you don't qualify for a Preferred Risk policy, a Standard Risk policy is available.
  • Standard Risk Policy
    Customers in high-risk areas can qualify for Standard Risk coverage for combined coverage, building only, or contents coverage only.

How Much Flood Insurance Should I Get?

Coverage limits for Flood Insurance are based on the value of the building and its contents. Maximum coverage limits are determined by the National Flood Insurance Program. We can go over those limits with you.

What Does Flood Insurance Cover?

Flood insurance covers direct physical loss to your building and its contents caused by flooding.

  • Building Property Coverage Includes:
    • Building and Foundation
    • Electrical and Plumbing Systems
    • Central Air Conditioning Equipment, Furnaces, and Water Heaters
    • Refrigerators, Stoves, and Built-in Appliances such as Dishwashers
    • Permanently Installed Carpeting over Unfinished Flooring
    • Permanently Installed Paneling, Wallboard, Bookcases, and Cabinets
    • Window Blinds
    • Detached Garages, up to 10% of Building Property coverage
  • Contents Coverage Includes:
    • Personal Belongings, like Clothing, Furniture, and Electronic Equipment
    • Curtains
    • Portable Air Conditioners
    • Portable Microwave Ovens and Portable Dishwashers
    • Carpets not Permanently Installed over Unfinished Flooring
    • Washers and Dryers
    • Freezers and Food Contents
    • Valuable Items such as Original Artwork and Furs, up to $2,500
    • Replacement Cost Coverage is not available for Personal Property
  • Other Coverage:
    • Debris Removal at Federal Minimum Wage, not subject to deductible
    • Loss Avoidance Measures, $1,000 limit, no deductible
    • Increased Cost of Compliance – Flood Proofing, Relocation, Elevation, and Demolition, subject to limitations and qualifying criteria

Who Is Eligible For Coverage?

Flood insurance is available in all 50 states, as long as your community participates in the National Flood insurance Program (except in Coastal Barrier Resources System (CBRS) areas). Contact us for more information and to see if your community participates.

Learn More–Get A Flood Insurance Quote Today.

Contact Us to learn more, or get a Quick Quote from us.

Flood Insurance Contact Form

Have a question about flood insurance? Fill out the form below and we will get back to you within 24 business hours.

Flood Insurance Update

Click here to view updated information about flood insurance.

Latest News

FEMA Rate Changes [pdf] for flood insurance are effective April 1, 2015! Contact Us today for a personal flood risk review to make sure you have the insurance you need.

Additional Coverage For Renters & Homeowners

Expanded Coverage With Umbrella Coverage

Or, be sure to read about Umbrella Coverage. With a Personal Umbrella policy, you'll have additional liability limits over and above those provided by your underlying policies. Your assets, as well as your future earnings, are covered.

Discounts & Savings

You can get discounts for improvements to your home; car and home insurance policyholders can save on both policies with built-in discounts for bundling insurance; and non-smokers can get home insurance discount, too. Contact us to learn more.

Be Prepared For Floods

Check out your risk for flood. Don’t wait. Flooding can and has happened in the middle of a drought. Be prepared with this handy list of things to do and resources available to you and your family.